CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 23, 2011

Everything Must Go



I’m not sure why they even bother saying that the film Everything Must Go is based of a Raymond Carver story when the only element borrowed from the 5-page short story, “Why Don’t You Dance?” is the character, Nick Halsey, selling all his belongings on his front lawn.

I’ll admit that I was attracted to the film based of the Carver connection, but I also wanted to come in with no expectation for a hyped performance by the one-note Will Ferrell. Many reviewers have been comparing Farrell’s performance to Adam Sandler’s dramatic turn in Punch Drunk Love, but the two films just can’t be compared.

Ferrell’s performance is underwhelming instead of his overwhelming zaniness. I agree with one review that I saw that this film is still more decent than most of the crap that comes out. However, what the film lacks the most is having a sense of still. The film-making and way that the story is too generic and forgettable.

6/10







0 comments: